FULL POSITION DESCRIPTION
Research and Education Librarian
Cushing/Whitney Medical Library
Rank: Librarian I-II
Schedule: Full-time (37.5 hours/week); standard work week (M-F, 8:30 – 5:00)
Start date: January 2, 2020
The Research and Education Librarian will design and participate in the medical library's efforts for reference, instruction, and outreach to students in the School of Medicine. The librarian will teach in the medical library's general instruction program; and offer reference services to the general clientele of the medical center. The Research and Education Librarian will oversee strategic planning and day-to-day coordination of the medical library’s Personal Librarian (PL) program. This enthusiastic, user-centered individual will primarily design and implement the library’s outreach program to students in the Yale School of Medicine, as well as assist and advise on PL outreach efforts across the Medical Center. Through instruction and consultation, the librarian works to enable students, faculty, clinicians, and researchers to leverage information and data resources to the fullest. With experience using a wide range of bibliographic databases, both biomedical and general, the librarian develops and provides training/instruction in the use of knowledge management, information and data resources, tools, and strategies including evidence-based searching, systematic reviews, and content management tools. This position reports to the Assistant Director of Research and Education Services and is a member of a dedicated team of research and education librarians.
- Directs the Personal Librarian program for School of Medicine students, including the creation of marketing materials, implementation of outreach strategies, planning new student orientations, and other outreach initiatives.
- Collaborates with colleagues on the Research and Education Team who support students of all levels throughout the Medical Center, including the Yale School of Nursing, the Yale School of Public Health, the Yale Physician Associate Program, the Yale Physician Assistant Online Program, and the Yale Combined Program in the Biological and Biomedical Sciences to prepare outreach materials, orientation sessions, and other resources. May also collaborate with Clinical Librarians in support of outreach initiatives to clinical departments.
- Participates in the medical library's general education program and prepares and presents a range of in-person classes on various topics, including biomedical databases and platforms (e.g., PubMed, Ovid, Embase, Web of Science, Scopus), citation management tools, biomedical research strategies, enhancing research impact, and in-depth citation analysis. Classes may be held in the library or other campus locations.
- Provides in-depth reference, information, research and consultation services for students, faculty, and researchers throughout the research life cycle.
- Provides training in the use of knowledge management and information resources, tools, and strategies including evidence-based searching, systematic reviews, content management tools, databases, mobile apps, etc.
- Serves as point person for referrals from the Information Desk, which is staffed by a team of clerical and technical staff members.
- Creates and maintains online guides, websites, and other research support tools.
- Collaborates with fellow librarians and other providers of information resources to support research and education.
- Participates in departmental, library, and system-wide planning, and engages in campus, regional and national professional organizations and collaborative activities. Monitors developments and best practices elsewhere to help ensure the excellence of Yale’s research and education support services and collections.
- May work with the Collection Development and Scholarly Communication Librarian and the Marketing Committee to evaluate and select information resources in all formats and to promote these resources to library users.
- May serve as a project manager for a variety of short-term and long-term projects.
- May serve as a liaison to departments or centers within the Medical Center.
- Serves on departmental and library system-wide committees.
- Demonstrates professional development and service through publication and/or active membership in professional organizations.
- May be required to assist in disaster recovery efforts.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated commitment to providing excellent customer service and a passion for engaging with learners at all levels.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize, multi-task, and meet deadlines, and to conceptualize new solutions to problems with creativity and flexibility.
- Innovative, resourceful, flexible, and collegial.
- Ability to work successfully both independently and collaboratively in a diverse team environment, and to effectively build partnerships and promote the library.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing and work well with colleagues and library patrons, individually and in groups.
Required Education and Experience
- Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited library school
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal, analytical, and communication skills, both oral and written, including the ability to actively listen, understand and articulate user needs.
- Experience working collegially and cooperatively within and across organizations.
- Experience working collaboratively and independently with varied groups within a complex organization and rapidly changing, team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, prioritize, coordinate, and implement projects and bring them to a conclusion in a timely fashion.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills
- Familiarity and experience with adult learning theory and instruction with adult learners.
- Experience designing and conducting library instruction.
- Experience working with and knowledge of biomedical research resources.
- Experience with assessment, educational technology and instructional design.
- Experience working in an academic or health sciences library.