We are excited to announce an exciting opportunity at the Cushing/Whitney Medical Library. Come be a part of our team, or share with your friends!
System and Application Specialist (requisition #49815BR)
- Provide technical guidance and recommendations for projects, including architectural design, data schema, technology selection, and methodologies to apply. Perform analysis to identify system and application project specifications to meet the stakeholders’ expectations and users’ needs, scheduled timelines, and budgetary targets. Create, communicate and manage project plans.
- Perform programming tasks in support of the development and delivery of applications, programs, and systems.
- Collaborate with the Web Services Librarian to help implement user-centered interfaces for systems and applications.
- Collaborate with the Medical Historical Library and University Library IT staff to identify and implement practical, innovative discovery solutions to our digitized collections.
- Provide ongoing maintenance and support for applications and systems.
- Respond to information security incidents quickly with solutions. Troubleshoot and rapidly resolve problems with systems, programs and applications.
- May participate in the Library’s education program by offering technology training sessions for users.
- May participate in the Library’s personal librarian program.
- Collaborate with Yale ITS staff, University Library IT staff, Yale New Haven Hospital ITS staff, vendors, consultants and product specialists
- Apply and keep current with existing and emerging technologies and methodologies.
- May perform other duties as required or assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in a related field and 2-4 years of related work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated ability in programming for major databases, such as MySQL, Postgres, MangoDB, etc.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Unix/Linux terminal environment.
- Demonstrated ability in software development in a team environment using source code versioning tools such as Git for management, documentation, and sharing of source code.
- Demonstrated ability to mitigate security vulnerabilities in networked applications.
- Demonstrated excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication and analytical ability. Experience working collegially and cooperatively within and across organizations.
- Excellent customer service skills, flexibility and dedication to innovation, creativity, and excellence.
- Ability managing multiple priorities.
- ALA-accredited master’s degree in library and information science, or bachelor’s/master’s degree in computer science, software engineering, or a related field of study.
- Prior work experience in academic libraries or health science libraries.
- Project management skills.
- Experience with Apache Solr.
- Familiarity with library data formats and standards (MARC 21, Dublin Core, METS, MODS).
- Experience providing technology teaching, training and consultation.
- Demonstrated use of continuous integration and/or continuous deployment using Jenkins, Travis, Mavin, Ansible, or other similar packages.
- Experience with development operations using Heroku, Vagrant, Docker and other containerized development/deployment strategies.
- Ability using issue tracking systems.
- Experience creating programs to process, analyze, and present scientific data.