Melissa Funaro, MS, MLS is an experienced Clinical Research & Education Librarian for the Cushing/Whitney Medical Library at Yale University. Melissa is a library liaison to several clinical departments at Yale providing support for the clinical, education, and research needs of trainees, faculty, and staff. In this role she provides training, consultation, and literature searches in support of evidence synthesis reviews, patient care, clinical research, animal welfare, and grants.
Melissa serves her profession as the Governmental Relations committee chair for the North Atlantic Health Sciences Libraries (NAHSL) chapter of the Medical Library Association and organizing committee member for the 2020 and 2021 NAHSL conferences. She is also the Secretary for the Connecticut Association of Health Science Librarians (CASHL).
Melissa holds a Master of Library Science from Southern Connecticut State University, and Master of Science in Horticulture from West Virginia University with a Bachelor of Science in Agriculture from the University of Delaware.
- MLS, Library Science, Southern Connecticut State Univ., 2009
- MS, Horticulture, West Virginia University, 2004
- BS, Agriculture, University of Delaware, 2000
Medical Library Association, 2014-Present
North Atlantic Health Sciences Libraries, 2014-Present
Connecticut Association of Health Sciences Librarians, 2014-Present
Publications and Presentations:
- Funaro, M. C., Rojiani, R., & Norton, M. J. (2019). Improving community well-being through collaborative initiatives at a medical library. Journal of the Medical Library Association: JMLA, 107(3), 425.
- Husain, Z. A., Sahgal, A., De Salles, A., Funaro, M., Glover, J., Hayashi, M., . . . Martínez-Alvarez, R. (2017). Stereotactic body radiotherapy for de novo spinal metastases: systematic review: International Stereotactic Radiosurgery Society practice guidelines. Journal of Neurosurgery: Spine, 27(3), 295-302.
- Nardini, H. G., Batten, J., Funaro, M., Garcia-Milian, R., Nyhan, K., Spak, J. M., . . . Glover, J. (2019). Librarians as methodological peer reviewers for systematic reviews: results of a survey.
- Norton, M. J., Funaro, M. C., & Rojiani, R. (2018). Improving Healthcare Professionals’ Well-Being Through the Use of Therapy Dogs. Journal of Hospital Librarianship, 18(3), 203-209.
- Nyhan, K., Funaro, M., & Hersey, D. (2017). Library support for clinical and translational research: research data management and data science.
- Oldfield, B. J., Muñoz, N., Mcgovern, M. P., Funaro, M., Villanueva, M., Tetrault, J. M., & Edelman, E. J. (2018). Integration of care for HIV and opioid use disorder: a systematic review of interventions in clinical and community-based settings. AIDS (London, England).
- Vermette, D., Hu, P., Canarie, M., Funaro, M., Glover, J., Balda, M., & Pierce, R. (2018). Tight Junction Structure, Function and Assessment in the Critically Ill. Shock, 49(6), 82-82.
- Vermette, D., Hu, P., Canarie, M. F., Funaro, M., Glover, J., & Pierce, R. W. (2018). Tight junction structure, function, and assessment in the critically ill: a systematic review. Intensive Care Medicine Experimental, 6(1), 37. Funaro, M., Nardini, H. G., Garcia-Milian, R., Hersey, D., Gentry, M., & Nyhan, K. (2016). Animal research at Yale: how librarians are improving IACUC literature searches. Poster presented at the North Atlantic Health Science Libraries Conference, New Haven, CT.
- Funaro, M., & Norton, M. (2015). How a medical library is an anchor for stress relief and relaxation. Poster presented at the North Atlantic Health Science Libraries, Providence, RI.
- Funaro, M., & Norton, M. (2015). Making space, building collaboration: serendipity in the stacks. Poster presented at the Medical Library Association, Austin, TX.
- Funaro, M., & Nyhan, K. (2017). Expert searching: animal experimentation, compliance, and literature searching. MLA News.
- Husain, Z. A., Sahgal, A., De Salles, A., Funaro, M., Glover, J., Hayashi, M., . . . Ryu, S. (2017). Stereotactic body radiotherapy for de novo spinal metastases: systematic review. Journal of Neurosurgery: Spine, 27(3), 295-302. doi: 10.3171/2017.1.SPINE16684
- Norton, M., & Funaro, M. (2017). Creating community: how our library dreamed big, dared to take chances, and did something new. Poster presented at the Medical Library Association, Seattle, WA.
- Nyhan, K., Funaro, M., & Hersey, D. (2017). Library support for clinical and translational research: research data management and data science. Poster presented at the New England e-Science Symposium.
- VanTine (Funaro), M. (2004). Effect of watering regime and media components on the production of organic tomato transplants. (Masters Degree in Horticulture), West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV.