Table of Contents
This list is not intended to be exhaustive or complete, but it's a good place to start.
- Journal Articles
- Data Sources
- Yale Voices
- Curriculum & Syllabi
- Web Resources
About this Page
The Race and Racism in Health Care page brings together resources for the purpose of educating and raising awareness on this important topic as it relates to health care. Additionally, we offer some useful tools and search tips for you to explore race in your own research.
This page was compiled by Cushing/Whitney Medical Library staff. We are a group of white, female librarians. While we have done our best to include perspectives of our Black, Brown, Asian, Hispanic, and Indigenous community members, we recognize there may still be implicit bias. We would be much obliged for suggestions on how we can make improvements.
For recommendations on additional resources, questions, or concerns, contact Courtney Brombosz, Research and Education Librarian (email@example.com)
Acknowledgements: Max Jordan Nguemeni Tiako, MS, and Dr. Anna Reisman for providing the seed idea as well as suggesting links for this site.
- Bell HS, Odumosu F, Martinez-Hume AC, Howard HA, & Hunt LM (2019). Racialized risk in clinical care: clinician vigilance and patient responsibility. Med Anthropol, 38(3), 224–238.
- Cerdeña JP, Rehman T, & Hardeman RR. (2020). Why bias matters in medicine: qualitative insights from anonymous, online reports. Journal of the National Medical Association, 112(1), 6–14.
- Solnick RE, Peyton K, Kraft-Todd G, & Safdar B. (2020). Effect of physician gender and race on simulated patients’ ratings and confidence in their physicians: a randomized trial. JAMA Network Open, 3(2), e1920511.
- Stangl AL, Earnshaw VA, Logie CH, Van Brakel W, Simbayi LC, Barré I, & Dovidio JF. (2019). The health stigma and discrimination framework: a global, crosscutting framework to inform research, intervention development, and policy on health-related stigmas. BMC Medicine, 17(1).
- Nawaz H & Brett AS (2009). Mentioning race at the beginning of clinical case presentations: a survey of US medical schools. Med Educ, 43(2), 146–154.
- Phelan SM, Burke SE, Cunningham BA, Perry SP, Hardeman RR, Dovidio JF, … van Ryn M. (2019). The effects of racism in medical education on students’ decisions to practice in underserved or minority communities. Academic Medicine : Journal of the Association of American Medical Colleges, 94(8), 1178–1189.
Salhi BA, Tsai JW, Druck J, Ward-Gaines J, White MH, & Lopez BL (2020). Toward structural competency in emergency medical education. AEM Education and Training, 4(S1), S88–S97.
- Sandoval RS, Afolabi T, Said J, Dunleavy S, Chatterjee A, & Ölveczky D. (2020). Building a Tool Kit for Medical and Dental Students: Addressing Microaggressions and Discrimination on the Wards. MedEdPORTAL, 16, 10893.
- Callahan CL, Schwartz K, Corley DA, Ruterbusch JJ, Zhao WK, Shuch B, … Hofmann JN. (2020). Understanding racial disparities in renal cell carcinoma incidence: estimates of population attributable risk in two US populations. Cancer Causes and Control, 31(1), 85–93.
- Erving CL (2020). Gendered tri-racial stratification and health disparities. Social Science Research.
- Mehra R, Keene DE, Kershaw TS, Ickovics JR, & Warren JL. (2019). Racial and ethnic disparities in adverse birth outcomes: Differences by racial residential segregation. SSM - Population Health, 8.
- O’Brien R, Neman T, Seltzer N, Evans L, & Venkataramani A. (2020). Structural racism, economic opportunity and racial health disparities: Evidence from U.S. counties. SSM - Population Health, 11.
- Rhee TG, Marottoli RA, Van Ness PH, & Levy BR. (2019). Impact of perceived racism on healthcare access among older minority adults. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 56(4), 580–585.
- Chaney C, Lopez M, Wiley KS, Meyer C, & Valeggia C. (2019). Systematic review of chronic discrimination and changes in biology during pregnancy among African American women. Journal of Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities, 6(6), 1208–1217.
- Li Y, Lu Q, Wang Y, & Ma S. (2020). Racial differences in testicular cancer in the United States: descriptive epidemiology. BMC Cancer, 20(1).
- Liu P, Ross JS, Ioannidis JPA, Dhruva SS, Vasiliou V, & Wallach JD. (2020). Prevalence and significance of race and ethnicity subgroup analyses in Cochrane intervention reviews. Clinical Trials, 17(2), 231–234.
- Lydecker JA, Gueorguieva R, Masheb R, White MA, & Grilo CM. (2019). Examining race as a predictor and moderator of treatment outcomes for binge-eating disorder: Analysis of aggregated randomized controlled trials. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 87(6), 530–540.
- Miyares LC, Falcone GJ, Leasure A, Adeoye O, Shi FD, Kittner SJ, … Woo D. (2020). Race/ethnicity influences outcomes in young adults with supratentorial intracerebral hemorrhage. Neurology, 94(12), e1271–e1280.
Pike LRG, Royce TJ, Mahal AR, Kim DW, Hwang WL, Mahal BA, & Sanford NN. (2020). Outcomes of HPV-associated squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck: Impact of race and socioeconomic status. JNCCN Journal of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, 18(2), 177–184.
- Using bias-free language to talk about racial and ethnic identity with inclusivity and respect from APA Style
- Implementation guidance on data collection standards for race, ethnicity, sex, primary language and disability status from the US Department of Health and Human Services
- Ghidei L, Murray A, Singer J. (2019) Race, research, and women's health: best practice guidelines for investigators. Obstet Gynecol, 133(4), 815‐818.
- A grammar of power in psychotherapy: exploring the dynamics of privilege by Malin Fors
- An anthropology of biomedicine by Margaret Lock and Vinh-Kim Nguyen
- Black and blue: the origins and consequences of medical racism by John Hoberman
- Body and soul: the Black Panther Party and the fight against medical discrimination by Alondra Nelson
- Breathing race into the machine: the surprising career of the spirometer from plantation to genetics by Lundy Braun
- Citizenship and mental health by Michael Rowe
- Fearing the black body: the racial origins of fat phobia by Sabrina Strings
- Just medicine: a cure for racial inequality in American health care by Dayna Bowen Matthew
- Medical apartheid: the dark history of medical experimentation on Black Americans from colonial times to the present by Harriet A. Washington
- Medicating race: heart disease and durable preoccupations with difference by Anne Pollock
- Pain: a political history by Keith Wailoo
- Reproductive injustice: racism, pregnancy, and premature birth by Dána-Ain Davis
- Reproducing race: an ethnography of pregnancy as a site of racialization by Khiara Bridges
- The social determinants of mental health edited by Michael T. Compton and Ruth S. Shim
- Under the strain of color: Harlem's Lafargue Clinic and the promise of an antiracist psychiatry by Gabriel N. Mendes
- Captivating technology: race, carceral technoscience, and liberatory imagination in everyday life edited by Ruha Benjamin
- Fatal invention: how science, politics, and big business re-create race in the twenty-first century by Dorothy Roberts
- Curated list of datasets including the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance Survey, Black Women’s Health Study, DiversityData, Jackson Heart Study, National Survey of American Life, and others from the Center for the Study of Racism, Social Justice & Health
- COVID-19 related datasets that stratify race/ethnicity curated by the Cushing/Whitney Medical Library
Medical Student Activism: Political x Institutional x Personal by Robert Rock and Nientara Anderson
Nguemeni Tiako MJ. "The pictures on the wall: transitioning from a historically black college/university (HBCU) to an ivy league medical school." Acad Med. 2018, 93(6), 820.
Racial awareness, if you will by Max Jordan Nguemeni Tiako
Segregation in the medical school classroom by Max Jordan Nguemeni Tiako
Georgia, COVID-19 and Racial Disparities, Do All Lives Still Matter? by Max Jordan Nguemeni Tiako
Our Hospitals' Unsung Heroes by Max Jordan Nguemeni Tiako
- Institutionalized racism: a syllabus from JSTOR
- Anti-racism in medicine collection from the Association of American Medical Colleges
- Anti-racism summer reading program for incoming medical students from the University of Washington
- African American Health and Anti-Racist Resources from the National Networks of Libraries of Medicine
- Medicine and Race: AMS Annotated Bibliography from Brown Alpert Medical School
- Racism: science & tools for the public health professional from Apha Press
- Race and Racism in Medicine from New York University Health Sciences Library
- Toward the abolition of biological race in medicine: transforming clinical education, research, and practice from University of California, Berkeley
- U.S. Health Justice: An Initiative of Yale Health Professional Students
- Read, Watch, Listen, and Learn: A curated collection on combating racism and advancing equality from Yale Alumni
- The problem with race-based medicine by Dorothy Roberts, JD
- Race medicine: treating health inequities from slavery to genomics by Dorothy Roberts, JD
- Allegories of race and racism by Dr. Camara Phyllis Jones
- Hidden histories of medicine, slavery, and resistance by Carolyn Roberts, PhD (Yale University)